EBM News English
Leading News Portal in English

Woman Addicted to Drinking Petrol for Depression Relief

A young woman with a dangerous addiction to guzzling petrol says it gives her respite from debilitating symptoms of depression. Despite repeated warnings from doctors that her strange craving could kill her, 20-year-old Shannon cannot stop herself from drinking petrol daily.

Every morning Shannon, an Ontario resident, reaches for a red petrol canister hidden under the bathroom sink and pours its contents into her mouth. Doctors warn that consuming petrol can lead to life-threatening and devastating health consequences. In addition to inducing nausea, vomiting, and intense stomach pain, long-term consumption can harm the digestive tract, heart, and lungs. Experts strongly advise against any form of petrol ingestion, even accidentally.

‘It tastes sweet and sour, like a tangy sauce. It tingles at first and then it burns the back of my throat,’ Shannon explained. ‘I can’t go a day without it. I’ll wake up, go to the washroom, and drink the gas. If I go out somewhere, I’ll put it in a small water bottle,’ she added. Shannon claims that she is aware of the risks and experiences excruciating chest pains and dizziness, but she is unable to kick her deadly addiction. “I know this is not safe, I know it’s going to kill me,’ she said.

Shannon claims that her affinity for gasoline dates back to her early childhood when she would be crouched behind her mother’s car to inhale the exhaust fumes. At some point, when she was feeling ‘upset and alone,’ she would sample a taste of the liquid.

Health experts warn that breathing in or consuming poisonous substances, such as gasoline, can have fatal repercussions. It can also be fatal in addition to causing pneumonitis, a severe type of lung injury. Inhaling gasoline fumes—as opposed to car exhaust fumes—can result in headaches, fatigue, and vertigo.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a worry for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, particularly if you frequently use gasoline-powered machinery. Because small, gas-powered engines release a lot of carbon monoxide—which is odorless and invisible—you could inhale a lot of it without ever realizing it. This makes these engines particularly dangerous. This may result in death or irreversible brain damage.